Monday, June 1, 2009

Y'all I don't even know where to start.

Feeling overwhelmed last night, my first night at Vijnanakala Vedi, I re-read an email that Monica sent went she was in Kerala. In it she describes feeling like she's been here forever, a feeling I am perpetually overwhelmed with every time I realize how brief my time here really is. Every moment here, from the colors to the food to the feeling of a sunrise hike in the Western Ghats, is just so full. Since my last post, I have bathed an elephant with a coconut, hiked in Munnar, visited monkeys and other wildlife in Kumily, rode on the back of a motorcycle to Cherai beach, and filled the time in between with wonderful Keralans and fellow travelers.

Oh, my last night in Fort Kochi, I sang My Heart Will Go On with a bunch of little boys for their grandfather (Benson's father). I couldn't stop laughing. They didn't quite get it, it's just their favorite American song... I recorded it and WILL find some way to incorporate it into my thesis :)

After four buses and four hours, I made it to Aranmula, where I am at Vijnanakala Vedi for the next three weeks. It seems wonderful here, I will write when I've gotten a bit more acclimated. Everyone wakes up before sunrise and goes to bed at 10. We eat four delicious meals together every day, and do lots of sari shopping. That's all I know so far.

Love and miss you all.

1 comment:

  1. Em that sounds so wonderful. I sort of don't even know how to react to bathing elephants and stuff, or what to say in turn because I'm just in a city which in so many ways is just another city-- Paris is New York is Amsterdam is Moscow with different words on signs. I think it just means we are going to have to go somewhere really weird after graduation and climb a big mountain with ice axes, which means we are going to have to work out everyday next year. Love you x 1,000,000

    ReplyDelete